CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Insomnia


A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow. ~Charlotte Brontë

So I have really enjoyed my long weekend off of work... Three days in a row! I have finally recovered from the "Accidental 5K" soreness- see the last post- and have finally gotten my sleep schedule back on track. Too bad I have to work today until 1AM...my sleep will be off again. Ugh!

As sleep-deprived as residency makes you, you'd think I'd be able to sleep whenever, wherever... some people can, but I'm not one of the lucky ones. I always have some steady stream of to-do's, ideas, and worries keeping me awake. With the erratic schedule that goes along with the ER, I've been worse than usual this month. Both nights this weekend I woke up at about 1AM and just couldn't go back to sleep... Saturday night I just turned on the TV (that usually works fast!), but two hours later, I had learned all about San Quentin maximum security prison and watched some old 20/20 episode about this idiot teacher who gave away his life savings to a con man treasure hunter. Ron was back home on Sunday night, so I couldn't turn on the TV to put me back to sleep... I got out of bed and sat in the living room floor making greeting cards! Yeah, it's my stupid new addiction, but it's so fun! I have made a total of 15 cards, using paper, stamps, ribbon, and my new Cricut machine, which cuts out letters and little shapes.... I'll never buy Hallmark again! That'll save me some money anyway, or at least make me a better friend/daughter/wife, cause I always end of procrastinating going to Walgreen's for the card or to the post office for stamps and never end up getting the card out on time. Now folks will be getting some really cute (and original) handmade pretties from your's truly! I'll have to post some pictures of my handiwork. Insomnia stinks, but at least I got to do some fun stuff while you were sleeping!
A flock of sheep that leisurely pass by
One after one; the sound of rain, and bees
Murmuring; the fall of rivers, winds and seas,
Smooth fields, white sheets of water, and pure sky -
I've thought of all by turns, and still I lie
Sleepless...
~William Wordsworth, "To Sleep"





0 comments: